Pesto

Garden pickings
     Well here is a picture of all the things that the garden had to offer last night. We had basil, rosemary, savory, tomatoes, jalapenos, and birds eye peppers.  Basil is overly abundant right now but I know it will not be in the coming months.  So I made a batch of pesto to put in the refrigerator for later. First I pulled all the leaves off of the stems.  I let them soak in a sink of cool salt water for about 30 minutes.  This gets all the bugs and dirt off of the leaves.

Freshly washed basil
     After it is done soaking I placed it in a colander, and let it drip dry.  While it was drying I peeled four entire cloves of garlic.  The garlic peeling probably took about 45 minutes. That meant that there was plenty of time for the basil to dry off a bit.

     Now I went about putting all of the garlic in my food processor. I also put in a dash of white wine. Next, I piled basil leaves in to the top, and put the lid on only to add more basil until the shoot was full too.  I turned the food processor on and let it begin breaking everything down.  Once most of the leaves were down into the bowl I commenced adding in the olive oil.  I opened it to scrape the sides down one time, and then blended it for a few more seconds. 
pesto in the ice tray

Now I wanted to save the pesto for a later date so I decided on freezing it.  I did not want to freezer the entire batch together so I divded it in to and ice cube tray.  Most trays will hold about two tablespoonfuls in each section.  This way it will know how much pesto I am grabbing out of the freezer at a time. 

After it was completely frozen I popped the cubes into a ziploc bag, and squeezed the air out. As a note pesto typically has pine nuts in it, bution was out and they are expensive.  I also have a difficult time finding them at the local stores. 

Now if only my tomatoes produced as well as my jalapenos I would be set.  As for right now I have way more peppers than tomatoes.  I will make as much salsa as I can with the tomatoes that I have.  I guess I will have to try making pepper jelly for the first time with all these extra peppers.







3 Response to "Pesto"

  1. Andrea says:
    September 25, 2011 at 11:03 PM

    Love the freezer idea! I am a pesto freak! Happily following back from the blog!

  2. Emily says:
    September 26, 2011 at 9:31 AM

    stumbled your post from monday stumbles http://mamafusion.com/2011/09/to-thrive/

  3. Lindsay says:
    September 30, 2011 at 1:33 PM

    Ooh I LOVE pesto! I just had pizza the other day with pesto sauce...yum! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm following you back! :)

    http://amommyslifestyle.blogspot.com

Post a Comment